Christ the King Sunday
This Sunday marks the end of the church year with Christ the King Sunday. Next Sunday begins the Advent Season. On Christ the King Sunday, we consider Jesus as he is now, the King and righteous judge of the whole universe. The Gospel lesson, Matthew’s last parable from Jesus, concerns the separation of the sheep and the goats, the righteous and the unrighteous, to inherit the Kingdom of God or to go “into eternal fire.” It is, at once, a most glorious and chilling picture. And it is the perfect scripture to usher us into Advent when we will prepare for his return. Join us in worship this Sunday!
Scripture of the Week: Psalm 100 on Giving Thanks
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Trivia Question Answered
Last week’s question: What country is home to the world’s first oil well? Though some have told me that I have been fooled by an old Soviet plot, the home of the first producing oil well is actually in Poland. It was dug (yes, dug) about 60 feet down until oil was struck. The purpose? To fuel the new kerosene lamps invented by the one who bankrolled the project. The year? 1853. Though now part of a museum complex, it still produces! Thanks to Gary, Doug and Tola who missed it by a continent but took their best shot!
As always, if you are in need of pastoral care, please do feel free to call me at 432-853-2751.
Your fellow servant,
THE NEXT SEVEN DAYS
- Sundays, Classes at 9:15 am, Worship at 10:30am. Youth Confirmation begins this Sunday.
- Saturday, November 22nd, 9:00am, Food Pantry distribution. We could use a little extra help for our Thanksgiving pantry – the largest of the year.
- Tuesday, November 25th, 11:45am, Men’s Fellowship Lunch at Jubilee. Open to all men, it’s a relaxing and fun way to spend your lunch hour. The food is top notch too!
- Wednesday, November 26th, 6:30 pm, The Bible Study will not meet because of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Friday, December 12th, 8:15am-9:15am. Shelf Stocking at Jubilee Center.
- Saturday, December 13th, 9:00am-12:00pm, Jubilee Center, Food Distribution. Just show up, we’ll find a place for you to serve!
- Tuesday, December 9th, 6:00pm. Dinner and Vestry meeting in the Fellowship Hall.
- Sunday, December 14th, Bishop Mark Zimmerman visits for confirmation, reception of new members and renewal of baptismal vows.
- Friday-Sunday, beginning on January 16th, All Saints Women’s Retreat in San Angelo.
- Sunday, January 25th, The Annual Meeting after church.